Monday, December 15, 2008

What Motivates You?

Here's a question to all the students I've worked with so far this year: What motivates you? I'm continually trying to learn about what appeals to you to make you want to work. Most of you spend numerous hours a day being entertained by video games, ipods, chronic texting, and internet networks. You probably spend the majority of your waking hours engaged in one or all of these things. This is your top priority. What would it take to make SCHOOL your top priority? How would SCHOOL have to change to get your attention? I must admit that I never enjoyed being a student until I entered grad school this past summer. I could go on and on about the things I hated about my "schooling". What would have to happen to make YOUR education the most important thing about your life? Seriously, what would it take? I am trying to mount a really cool play for my Drama 1 class right now and only a handful of the students in the class are committed to it. Even my Wildcat Players in the class don't seem to care about it. They'd rather play video games. I just don't understand it. What has to happen to make you want to CARE about this as much as I do? I REALLY want to know.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I think the only thing that will truly motivate me about school is if I really like doing whatever it is (in the case of acting, I do), and if it has serious contributions to my life. I hate knowing that I'm learning about something in science that I know I will never use again in my life. So I won't put any effort into learning it, I just tell myself that whether I do well in school on that particular subject doesn't matter and don't work hard.
But if I was in your drama class, Rags, I'd definitely be committed to the show. :)

-Chad

Anonymous said...

MR. Ragland, you have asked the question that SO many teachers would like answered. Looking forward to the responses.

Anonymous said...

I wonder if creating their own movie out of what they are learning in your class would help motivate them? This way, they still have to learn about acting, stage design, and costume desgin while also incorporating the technical aspects of cutting, pasting, sound production etc.


ajenkins